Thursday, December 9, 2010

DIY Christmas Wall Art

It's that time of year again. The time for fluffy white snowflakes, caroling in the crisp wintry air, mugs of hot chocolate to warm your hands. The time for giving, hoping, celebrating. Christmas is such a joyous holiday. There is something about this time of year that gets me all giddy. Maybe a leftover twinkle of magic I used to feel at Christmas when I was a kid.

Well, it's also time to hurry and finish your last minute holiday home sprucing. If you're like me, you have lots of wall space just waiting for something pretty to warm your room. I like to switch out my wall decor to coordinate with my other seasonal decorations. Remember this painting we did last month? It was a fantastic addition to my wall, that gave the dining room a nice warm feeling of autumn.

Now that we have several inches of snow on the ground, and we've pulled out the Christmas lights, my painting is starting to feel a little out of place. Time for a change






My solution was oh, so simple. Pretty, festive, and not overdone. 

Want to make your own?
Here is what you will need:

1/2 yard of festive holiday fabric. You can mix and match prints if you like.

1 large piece of foam board

Raffia, ribbon, or string

Glue gun and glue sticks

Start by cutting your foam board in the shapes and sizes you want your wall art to be. I chose to make mine out of three rectangles, all the same height, with the middle being wider than the end pieces.


Next, cut your fabric about 1/2 to 1 inch larger than the corresponding foam board piece.




With a hot glue gun, glue the fabric tight to each board. Be sure to pull the fabric tight around the edges as you glue, so each piece lays flat against the board.



Take your raffia, ribbon, or string, and cut a piece (or several pieces) long enough to hang your boards at the length you want. Then cut that piece (or pieces) in half, so you have two sides to tie together.

Glue each piece to the back of your board, about an inch or so away from the outside edges.




Then, tie your bow and hang your board. 



Now repeat the previous steps for your remaining boards. 

I chose to hang mine at different lengths, with the bows being at equal height on the wall, and the boards each hanging higher than the one before it.


It's a fantastic, easy solution to add some festive flare to my boring, drab wall. 

I utilized some candleholders and votives I had leftover from my wedding to dress up the table. A little red accent goes a long way.



Elegant. Simple. Beautiful.


Sit back, relax, and take in the holiday season.



Now go make something, and enjoy the day!



Please be sure to check out my Facebook Page!







27 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic idea, I might just have to do this! Great job on the tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow!! Great idea!!! I am going to post about it on my facebook page so that maybe some other people can benefit from it :D Thanks for posting!! I am going to go get some fabric out now!

    facebook.com/bugcreator

    ReplyDelete
  3. I linked from Megs FB. These look great! I bought some of that foam board the other day in hopes of finding a way to make a hinged foldable shop sign for my craft booth... but now.. I think I might just try this project out instead. Thanks for sharing!

    Paperpixiecrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very glad you all could find my idea useful! Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used this for a summer version in the living room and now that Christmas is coming up, I may have to do it again for winter! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this on Pinterest and LOVE it so much! I always struggle with what to put on the walls at Christmas. Love your fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also saw this on Pinterest and came over to your blog for the tutorial. I saw some really pretty christmas fabric at Hobby Lobby but didn't know what to do with it... Now I do! Thanks!

    Rainey @ The Project Table

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheap, easy and a very lovely way to take up some wall space and make my home look even more decorated for the holiday season! Thanks so much!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amy! I stumbled across this picture of your wall hangings on pinterest and fell in love with them! I made something similar, except I used styrofoam and turned mine into a Christmas card holder! I have just started my blog and would love it if you would stop by and check out my stuff, and subscribe! Just looking to connect with some people that love creating things and inspiring others as much as I do! Thanks, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you tell me where you got that Christmas Tree fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this idea!!!! Thanks for sharing! I found you thru This-N-That Fabrics's blog. HUGS... and stitches

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I will definitely be trying this at Christmas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What I like about this Idea, is that you could swap it out for all holidays or special occations. I just need to find a removable binding for the back-maybe velcro, hemming glue, IDK, but I like this Idea. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amy, I love this idea and would like to feature it in a DIY christmas craft article I'm writing. You would of course receive full credit and a link back. Please email me if you are interested. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! If you are on a tighter budget you can use wrapping paper instead of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a cute idea. I am looking for holiday fabric to do these for each holiday, but instead of putting cards on it I am going to pin photos on it. I am also going to make some that coordinated with my livingroom decorations for non holiday times to have in the livingroom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Going to hang mine with removable COMMAND strips and then pin holiday cards on it.

    Made mine today... LOOKS GREAT. Instead of gluing I used staples. Super fast and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made one and it came out fantastic! We are loving this to display our cards! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you use push pins for the cards? How do you attach the cards to them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think yes it is pushpin that holds the card, really nice idea shared here and i am late to catch the new patterns of wall art which are essential for house decoration.

      Nice looking wall art decor

      Delete
  20. This is a great idea! Simple, Elegant, and Very Pretty! One of our members from Cafemom Holiday and Party Crafts group shared this with us so I came to check it out for the tutorial.

    If you'd like to join our craft group on Cafemom here is our link:

    http://www.cafemom.com/group/22263

    Thanks so much! ~Yolanda~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! I work with Jillian Tohber Leslie, who is the founder of Catch My Party (http://catchmyparty.com/). She has recently begun blogging about parties and party planning for Spoonful (http://www.spoonful.com), the Disney family website. We are putting together a post for Spoonful on holiday wall art and I was wondering if I can include a photo from this post of yours in our post. We will of course link back to your blog. Spoonful is a super popular site, so it's a great way to gain increased exposure. Let me know what you think. If you're okay with it, I'll email you once the post is up on Spoonful so you can check it out and share it with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can you tell the name and/or designer of the fabric you used? I LOVE it and I would love to make this project exactly as it looks on your wall. Such pretty fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  23. great feature on this project http://www.buzzfeed.com/ghirardelli/diy-holiday-decorations-thatll-make-your-home-the-most-hi/b=1! Thanks for the inspiration and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVELY! Great idea than can also be reused again and again for other decor & purposes!

    ReplyDelete