Sunday, January 16, 2011

Projects You'll Love

It seems I've been a sewing maniac lately. Sewing all day long, every chance I get. I love it. It's addicting. I'm addicted.

If you keep up with my Facebook Page, you know what I've been up to. 

Some of you have asked where I find the time to do the things I do. All I can say is that a patient husband and a sleeping baby can go a long way...

Some of you have also asked where I get all my ideas. I have to say, most of the things I have sewn are not original ideas on my part. I often modify them, or change the patterns to suit my style, but every project comes from inspiration. If you take a few moments to surf the web, I'm sure you will be inspired yourself.

Here is a brief highlight of some of my favorite projects I've done, and where I found my inspiration.

My absolute favorite project, you ask? Parents of little girls, you'll love this.

KIMONO DRESSES

This project was inspired by a pattern I ran across on this blog. The original pattern is a simple kimono shirt for children. 

I used the measurements and basic pattern, then added a paneled skirt to the top to make a beautiful little dress. 


The sash, or obi, that wraps around the middle was something I had to come up with on my own. But with a little research and imagination, I think it turned out perfect.

My one-year-old likes to wear them too. Using bold, contrasting colors can make this outfit stand out from the rest.





Attention all mothers! 

Who wants to carry around a boring drab DIAPER BAG, when you can carry one of these?




A fellow sewing mama shared this simple diaper bag pattern on her blog, and it is one of my favorite projects to sew! 

TONS of pockets, inside and out, makes for a bag that's both functional and stylish. What more could you ask for?



Speaking of bags....

Check out these two beautiful bags. Meant for "mommy time" only. 

BUTTERCUP BAG (with matching clutch)

The bag pattern is found here.


And I purchased the PDF clutch pattern from this Etsy shop. I modified it a little, to fit my taste.



PHOEBE BAG

This pretty bag is perfect for a casual date, or a night out with the girls.

I put my new serger to good use and created a rolled edge hem for this fabric flower, made from a long narrow strip of fabric, then gathered and sewn to the body of the bag.




How about something to put in those beautiful bags?

CHECKBOOK COVER

This was something I needed to make. My checkbooks were laying haphazardly at the bottom of my purse, so I figured it was time to give them a home. And why not make it cute while we're at it?


I found a basic pattern on this blog. I added some interfacing, and a strap with a magnetic clasp to keep my checkbooks nice and compact.



And my favorite feature? I can fit both of my checkbooks inside.


Cute right? And so simple. This project took less than an hour from start to finish, and that's including cutting time.


More inspiration, you ask? Here are a few more of my favorite items, with links to where I became inspired.















Next time you're in need of some inspiration, take a look at what's already out there. You never know what you'll find.

Happy sewing!!!




Now go make something, and enjoy the day!

Become a fan of my Facebook Page!

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try out some of those bag patterns! Thanks for sharing. ( =

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know ewhere to start, but all your things look great. You are doing an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing! I wanted to see about the diaper bag pattern, but it looks like her page is set to private. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for sharing love the kimono dress

    ReplyDelete